On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 06:18:08AM -0800, BASH wrote:

> i have a network between 2 machines windows XP and a solaris 10
>
> my network is built on a cross cable, my problem is that the 2 machines cant
> see each others!!!
>
> each machine can ping it self but cant ping the other one. i want to share
> files between them so what might be the problem!!!!!!

Just a few possibilities based on the information you've provided:
Broken or mismade cable, broken NIC(s), broken driver(s), wrong
driver(s), incorrect interface configuration on one or both hosts
(particularly address and netmask), packet filtering configuration on
one or both hosts, user error, autonegotiation failure or forced
physical configuration mismatch.

I'd suggest you focus first on establishing that you have a physical
link.  If the NICs have link lights, verify that both are illuminated
and, if speed is indicated, that both indicate the same speed.  Many
Solaris network drivers expose link status parameters via ndd(1M);
many also allow you to control autonegotiation and link configuration
if you find that to be the cause of trouble.  You should consult the
driver's man page to learn about the available parameters.  In most
cases, however, you should never need to alter them.

Once you're satisfied that you have a physical link, check the
interface configurations.  Both must have IP addresses statically
assigned in the same network.  That is, the addresses must be
different but must both use the same netmask and must be the same when
ANDed with that netmask.  The RFC 1918 blocks are excellent choices
for network numbers.  Be sure that both interfaces are actually up (on
XP, that the interface is "enabled"; on Solaris, ifconfig <ifname> up,
and ifconfig <ifname> should report the UP flag).

Try to disable packet filtering on both hosts if you haven't done so
already.  By default Solaris 10 does not filter; I can't say about XP,
especially since I believe its defaults have changed with successive
patches and you have not provided information on the patchlevel you
are running.

These are just the basics; if you've been over this already, you'll
need to gather much more information before anyone can help you
(starting with the type of NICs you're using and the interface and, if
available, physical configuration of each).  You should also try with
a different NIC and/or a different cable if any are available.  More
information on Solaris 10 IP networking configuration can be found at
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-4554/.

Finally, this topic is inappropriate for this mailing list; please
consider contacting your technical support providers for Solaris 10
and/or XP.  If you think you've found a networking bug in Solaris,
please file a bug at http://bugs.opensolaris.org with enough
information to reproduce it, and use the opensolaris-bugs or
networking-discuss mailing lists to discuss the problem and its
solution.

--
Keith M Wesolowski              "Sir, we're surrounded!"
Solaris Kernel Team             "Excellent; we can attack in any direction!"