On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 03:38:31PM -0800, Alan DuBoff wrote:

> Is there any possibility that we'll be seeing source control on opensolaris,

One would hope, given the amount of time and effort being spent on
evaluation of DSCM candidates[0].

> so that it would be possible to putback to the opensolaris gate, rather than
> go through Solaris?

There's no such thing as "go[ing] through Solaris."  Each
consolidation has a gate.  Right now, those gates are accessible only
via the SWAN.  Both Solaris and OpenSolaris source drops are derived
from these gates.  When a DSCM is selected and becomes available,
consolidations will begin making their gates available via the
Internet using the new tools.  Solaris will continue to be derived
from these gates.  The only Solaris-specific activity will be that
related to closed code, which in any case is of no interest to
non-SWAN participants regardless of the availability of DSCM.

This has also been explained before.  Perhaps it's a FAQ we should add
to the FAQ center.  Would you like to volunteer?

> This is something I want to see, so could be considered on my agenda, but
> without source control it seems everyone has their hands tied.

Not true at all.  A number of contributions[1] have already been
accepted through the sponsor process[2].  It may be inefficient and
unwieldy, but it's not tying anyone's hands.  Nevertheless, because we
tend to dislike inefficient, unwieldy workarounds, the Tonic team is
working most diligently to get SCM in place as soon as practical.

[0] http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=5426&tstart=0
    http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=5485&tstart=0
    http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=5819&tstart=0
    http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=5862&tstart=0
    http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=3991&tstart=0
    http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=5747&tstart=0
    http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=3982&tstart=0

[1]
    http://opensolaris.org/os/project/content/newsletter/januray06-newsletter/
        (sic)

[2] http://www.opensolaris.org/os/communities/participation/

--
Keith M Wesolowski              "Sir, we're surrounded!"
Solaris Kernel Team             "Excellent; we can attack in any direction!"