> On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 03:52:17PM -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>
>>   Then change the topic to "Community Software for Solaris" and continue.
>>
>>   After all, the objective is to deliver a solution to the Solaris user
>>   and the Solaris customer.  Possibly even each other.
>>
>>   That was always the idea from the beginning.
>
> We tried forming that community and the CAB members did not agree to
> it.  You may recall that community's title was proposed as the far
> more neutral "Packaged Software."

  Thats a perfect name.  It implies everything that can go into a
  package and be installed.  What could be wrong with that ?

> Perhaps that too was poorly chosen,
> in that it encouraged people to confuse it with the Packaging
> community.  I wholeheartedly agree that melding the larger discussion
> with the release of the Companion software is suboptimal, but as Al
> pointed out, that's the way they've decided the system will work.  If
> you think they should revisit that decision, cab-discuss is the place.

  I wouldn't know what to say really.  Hard to believe but true.

> I should also mention that Solaris customers are in important, but not
> the only, target audience.  This is an OpenSolaris project - and ought
> to have been an OpenSolaris community - because its scope extends
> beyond the boundary of the Solaris product.

  I agree with that.  Its impossible to disagree with.

> If the project name is your sole objection to the existence of the
> project

  No it isn't.  Err, I mean wasn't.

> or to a collaborative effort that would be inclusive of
> Blastwave, I'm more than willing to change it.

  I am now thinking that the only way to proceed is to plow forwards with
some sort of a discuss list.  The ones at Blastwave are totally out of the
question as they offend people.  Or at least one person.  Possibly more.
I don't know.  I do know that the very core concept here is to package up
software in a neat way that is available to Solaris users and OpenSolaris
distro projects.  That seems to be the idea.

  I get offended by the whole idea of the Companion CD and the /opt/sfw
software tree.  It feels like that was preprogrammed offense and pure gut
reaction.  Also, the idea of creating something that complete
reproduces/replaces/kills the work done at Blastwave really bugs me.  I may
have been too subtle about that point for anyone to notice.

  The other thing that really bothered my was the choice of leaders in the
community project.  Did anyone consider that Phil Brown or Alan Duboff
would be great people to approach?  How about Eric Boutilier?  He has been
involved with these sort of things since forever.  Or maybe someone from
the "secret six"?

  It felt like a decision had been made and rammed in place.

> Or to propose a second
> project (as a stand-in for the originally proposed community) and
> relegate the existing one solely to providing the source to the
> existing Companion consolidation.  Suggestions?

  That is a twist that I never considered.

--
Dennis Clarke