> > Quick questions since I haven't had time to setup the environment to
> > play with your patches yet.  Did you see any disks, or can't you type
> > anything yet ?
>
> Hmm, the Intel ICH7 chipset in the Intel iMac seems to suffer from the
> "cntrl sharing DMA engine between channels" problem, so that Solaris
> refuses to use DMA with the HDD:
>

> PCI Express-device: pci8086,[EMAIL PROTECTED], pci_pci0
> pci_pci0 is /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/pci8086,[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> pcplusmp: ide (ata) instance 0 vector 0xe ioapic 0x1 intin 0xe is bound to
> cpu 1pcplusmp: ide (ata) instance 0 vector 0xe ioapic 0x1 intin 0xe is bound
> to cpu 1        ATAPI device at targ 0, lun 0 lastlun 0x0
>         model MATSHITADVD-R   UJ-846
>         ATA/ATAPI-6 supported, majver 0x78 minver 0x0
>         IDE device at targ 1, lun 0 lastlun 0x0
>         model WDC WD2500JS-40NGB2
>         ATA/ATAPI-7 supported, majver 0xfe minver 0x0
> ata_set_feature: (0x66,0x0) failed
> PCI Express-device: [EMAIL PROTECTED], ata2
> ata2 is /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED],2/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>         ATA DMA off: cntrl sharing DMA engine between channels
>         PIO mode 4 selected
> Disk0:  <Vendor 'Gen-ATA ' Product 'WDC WD2500JS-40N'>
> cmdk0 at ata2 target 1 lun 0
> cmdk0 is /[EMAIL PROTECTED],0/[EMAIL PROTECTED],2/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/[EMAIL
> PROTECTED],0
>

> Reading from the HDD is killing GUI performance on the iMac, it seems...

 There's an (supposedly dangerously) hacked ata driver floating around
that makes this work OK. Please contact me off-line if you'd like a
copy of it. The bug that covers this is:

  5031379 Toshiba MK6021GAS falls back to pio on HP Pavilion ze5385us

 That said, this is a sata controller operating in legacy emulation.
The right fix is to get support for that sata controller and address
it as such.

 That means that I understand why this bug isn't a priority for the
ata folks as they are also the sata folks and need to be working on
higher win issues.

-jan