* Eric Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-04-18 06:29]:
> Shawn Walker wrote:
> >I thought the same thing. The first thing I did when I saw the name
> >"muskoka" being thrown around was to search for it on wikipedia. While
> >it's "cute" and all, I relaly think that mailing lists should have a
> >blindingly obvious title :) The suggested name of, "Solaris Kernel Mailing
> >List"; seems rather appropriate.
>
> There is no hidden meaning. I picked muskoka for the project because there
> is an internal machine within Sun which serves a similar purpose for
> engineering, it has slideware, home pages, etc. - various random things -
> hosted there. The name is purposely obscure. It's just meant to be a
> hodge-podge repository of random techno-babble. :)

  (For the record, muskoka is my workstation at Sun; it was named for
  where my family had a summer cottage.  (A pleasant aspect of Sun is
  that you still get to choose your machine names, as long as they are
  unique within the company.  I also have rosseau and kawagama, for
  those familiar with the region.)  Various platforms and web server
  software have been run there since we realized there wasn't even an
  informal kernel performance group web server.)

> As for the technical discussion list, as I've said before, I don't care
> about the means as long as we accomplish the ends. For all I care we can
> call it [EMAIL PROTECTED], and as long as everybody knows to go there
> for technical questions, spec posts, and RFC submissions.

  It's probably worth mentioning that the ARC workflow, as it moves to
  opensolaris.org, will cover the formal process of proposing new
  interfaces, recording the issues raised (and how they will be
  addressed), and publishing the outcome, whether simple approval (for
  "fast tracks") or a written opinion.

  That is, the technical list is going to be an informal forum in the
  long run, at least with respect to published interfaces.

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] does not fit the bill, sorry. Neither does
> SKML. The intent was to have a broader-reaching technical discussion list.
> Linux is a kernel; OpenSolaris is an *os*. I would like the mailing list
> to reflect that difference in reality, although the mission is certainly
> similar.
>
> I suggest that, if folks really want a kernel mailing list, we should add
> a kernel community. There is plenty of innovation going on in core kernel
> infrastructure; I've seen everything from research on queued spinlocks and
> mutexes to a suggestion of a dispatcher redesign to a complete virtual
> memory system overhaul.
>
> Getting back to the topic of this thread, I'll throw a random suggestion
> out there: tech-discuss.

  Given the circular nature of this particular proposal, I will at this
  point suggest that we either

  - repurpose opensolaris-code, or

  - let the discussion run on muskoka-discuss.

  Traffic on opensolaris-code has been technical, and can easily sustain
  the broadening of role outlined in the thread.  Al H and Eric L can take over
  as moderators immediately; I'm pretty sure Derek won't mind.

  - Stephen

--
Stephen Hahn, PhD  Solaris Kernel Development, Sun Microsystems
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://blogs.sun.com/sch/