Peter Tribble wrote:
On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 19:34, Jim Grisanzio wrote:

Ben opened a page on the Genunix wiki:
http://www.genunix.org/wiki/index.php/Summer_of_Code

I accidentally went to www.genuix.org. Hm.....

A couple of points:

I'm not sure that content or marketing count. Or localization/i18n.
Google explicitly rule out documentation projects, at any rate. It's
all about actually writing code.

I see that, thanks Peter. They say:

"While we greatly appreciate the value of documentation, this program is an exercise in developing code; we can't accept proposals for documentation-only work at this time."

So, if that's the case, fine. But if writing some sort of documentation (or article, or whatever) could be *part* of a coding project, then I think we'd be more than happy to get involved and help. I'm just trying to get a wide diversity of projects offered.

Also, regarding marketing. Yes, I agree. I think Tim sees that too and he addresses it here:
http://opensolaris.org/jive/message.jspa?messageID=33341&tstart=0
He's suggesting creating module here so perhaps that would qualify. Again, just flushing out some ideas.

I see that Chandan has put up some stuff for OpenGrok and there's some tools and performance ideas up there now too. I put Tom's Chime content up there as well.

Thanks,

Jim

I agree with Tom about the value of extending something like Chime.
(Or even doing jkstat properly.) Generally, graphical interfaces to
observability tools are an area where relatively little work has been
done. Not only that, the work is reasonably self-contained and would
make nice projects with a good chance of completion that could add
considerable value.