* Darren Reed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2006-05-01 19:25]:
> Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 20:39, Roland Mainz wrote:
> >

> >>The tagging is enabled by default in the mailman configuation
> >>intentionally. Think about it: If it is so bad - why did the mailman
> >>people turn it "on" by default then ?
> >>

> >if it's so good, why do many lists I'm subscribed to run without subject
> >line tags?
> >
> >If there was some way to reliably strip subject-line list tags from
> >cross-posted traffic I'd suggest making it a per-recipient option.
>
> There are good arguments for it and good ones against it.
>
> The best thing a list can do is to stick with whatever choice
> it makes when it is first created, for better or worse.  The
> worst you can do is to decide to change the behaviour at
> some point in the future.
>
> For me, it makes it obvious what is and isn't opensolaris email.
>
> As for why I dont implement filters - I use more than one mail
> reader with my sun.com email and filter/sort email by hand.
> I'm not aware of any mail products that can read my mind and
> correctly decidewhich box email is to go in 100% of the time.

  Obviously I've blundered into an area where people have decided to
  care deeply about something I thought was relatively minor.  My
  apologies.

  Here are some cases the current software is producing:

Re: [tools-discuss] Re: [desktop-discuss] How to make it easy to build OSS on
Solaris?
Subversion in Solaris / was: Re: [osol-discuss] Re: [tools-discuss] Distributed
source codemanagement selection, draft
Re: [osol-mktg] Re: [osol-discuss] Re: Bellinix Distro for Linux Format
Magazine promotion
[desktop-discuss] Re: [gnu-sol-discuss] Incorporating open-source cmds/libs
into OpenSolaris
Re: [tools-discuss] Re: [desktop-discuss] Re: [companion-discuss] Proposing
/usr/gnu, 2

  I would very much like to eliminate the second and subsequent list
  name inclusions from subject lines.  Are there a substantial number of
  people filtering on anything other than the first included list name?
  (And have done so in an order-of-arrival-neutral fashion?)

  - Stephen

--
Stephen Hahn, PhD  Solaris Kernel Development, Sun Microsystems
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://blogs.sun.com/sch/