On Sunday 07 May 2006 08:05 pm, Kaiwai Gardiner wrote:
> Well, I think people who are Solaris programmers (at SUN) need to realise,
> that the criticism of Solaris is not a criticism of them - they're part of
> the larger organisational engine, one cog in the machine, and very little
> that an underling can do about these problems.
>
> The criticism is directed at the big wigs who make decisions, but tend to
> be AWOL when it comes time for accountability - if one doesn't wish to take
> responsibility for ones decision, one shouldn't become a manager.

I think the engineers realize this very much, and more so are doing what they
can to make it better.

Over the past few years Solaris has made incredible strides to improve. We
have a much more usable system today.

All of the engineers I interact with seem to want to continue those
improvements and Sun is continuing to make great strides for a more usable
system.

I don't think you have found the right channel to get info, or you don't fully
understand where the system was a few years ago to compare honestly today,
but I see many improvements that are bringing Solaris to a more usable state.

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering