Hello - I'm a sysadmin with solaris and now experimenting with Linux (at the
moment SuSE 10.1 via VMware).

Interestingly - I've been using VMware - but to run Linux instead of solaris.

I've found that sometimes (oddly) "telling" (or trying) an installation routine
in YaST again (or performing a reboot and then retrying) helps.

Although - it seems your experiment with installing Solaris via VMware hasn't
brought you to a true installation.

Try wiping the current installation (completely, the solaris installation, not
VM ware) and re-create the solaris VM machine.

Did you point the CD-Rom device to go to the first ISO image of the Solaris
installation?

Don't forget the boot cdrom if you happen to be at init 0 (prom) level of
Solaris.

Oh, if you decide to install the VMware tools - only do so AFTER you take a
"snapshot" of your machine's initial installation.

Allow more room (if you can) for various slices than the typical setup.  For
instance - when (or if) you decide to apply the bundled package of patches for
Solaris - it will increase your slice size (aka partition).

Oh, what version of Solaris were you attempting to install via VMware?

Chances are I may be "barking up the wrong tree" for your answer here - but
I'll throw this out anyway - Solaris 10 has a little more demand for RAM and
disk space than a Solaris 9 installation.

You might find the NSA's publically-available configuration guide (focuses on
security, but goes step-by-step on a solaris load, their other manuals are good
too)
http://www.nsa.gov/snac/downloads_os.cfm?MenuID=scg10.3.1.1
(the link above has other installation guides for other operating systems)

The above link is for Solaris 9 - if you're using Solaris 10 - only portions of
that guide may be helpful - if at all...

The Sun Docs has info on a solaris install:
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-7171
That's for solaris 9

Solaris 10 guides (docs.sun.com)
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/1236.1

Solaris 10 sysadmin collection:
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/coll/47.16

Good luck - hopefully at least some of what I gave may help