Glynn Foster wrote:
It does rather beg the question of what expectations we're building from a customer point of view with the update releases - clearly they're not just bug fixes anymore.

Update Releases were never just bug fixes.   They were explicitly introduced
as a way to deliver new features between the full releases.   (I joined Sun
as the Desktop group was working on the X11R6.0->X11R6.4 upgrade and various
new CDE features for the Solaris 7 11/99 update release.)

You can see the way we've been setting this customer expectation for years:

"Several times a year, Sun offers updates to the Solaris operating system. The updates are designed to provide new functionality in a controlled, compatible fashion."
   - http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/solarisVersions.html
     (written for Solaris 8 releases)

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-           [EMAIL PROTECTED]