UNIX admin wrote:
Would a Solaris kernel engineer please be so kind as to translate the following
for me:

the following is just an example parameter, but my question concerns ALL
OBSOLETED kernel parameters in Solaris 10 (conceptual question).

"msgsys:msginfo_msgmni (Solaris 9 Releases)
Obsolete in the Solaris 10 release."

Does this mean that

a) this kernel parameter no longer exists in /etc/system, but can still be
tuned manually and will affect the performance of a Solaris 10 system

b) this kernel parameter no longer exists in /etc/system and cannot be tuned as
such, but there are other parameters that are related to it and will still need
to be considered

c) this kernel parameter no longer exists and cannot be tuned manually in any
way

c) this kernel parameter is now dynamically calculated / adjusted?

What does "obsolete" mean in this context?

In this particular case the answer is 'none of the above'. See http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/on/usr/src/uts/common/os/msg.c#91 and http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/on/usr/src/uts/common/os/project.c#779.

So you can still set it in /etc/system and if you do, we create the appropriate rctl for you. But it is only there for compatibilty reasons so you really should be using project.max-msg-ids...

HTH

Menno

--
Menno Lageman          | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sun Microsystems       | http://blogs.sun.com/menno