UNIX admin wrote:
In this particular case the answer is 'none of the
above'. See http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/on/usr/src/uts/ common/os/msg.c#91 an
http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/on/usr/src/uts/
common/os/project.c#779.

So you can still set it in /etc/system and if you do,
we create the appropriate rctl for you. But it is only there for compatibilty reasons so you really should be using project.max-msg-ids...

To be particular, if I have a Solaris kernel tunable pertinent to Oracle on Solaris 8,
what do I do with this tunable on Solaris 10 when the tunable is marked as
"obsolete"?

For most of the System V IPC tunables you shouldn't have to do anything anymore. In Solaris 10 the default values for these tunables have more reasonable defaults than in previous Solaris versions. Should one of the defaults not be sufficient in your situation, you can add the appropriate resource control to the project Oracle runs in.

An example of how to do that can be found at page 24 of this BluePrint
http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0505/819-2679.pdf.

Menno

--
Menno Lageman          | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sun Microsystems       | http://blogs.sun.com/menno