On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 04:17:42PM -0700, Hugh McIntyre wrote:
> Potentially what would help here is to integrate a stub pkg-get command
> into the base install, but out of the box this would just be a wrapper,
> not linked to any specific back-end repository.

great idea. and actually, already proposed to sun, [or they might even
have approached me about it :-) memory is a bit fuzzy now] about 6 months ago.
I said "Great idea! Lemme know anything I can do to help you".

havent heard much back about it.

> > While blastwave does it, I can't use blastwave as a part of some
> > other solution. And that's the problem with all the package
> > management systems - they're fine, as long as you use them in
> > complete isolation.
>
> Exactly.  Say I want PHP to run with the bundled Apache.  Blastwave
> won't do this, unlike Fink, for example.

why the heck would you want to do that, though?

> [*] in fact the ability to configure a path of sources might be
> preferred.  For example: "sun.com if the package exists, otherwise
> Blastwave".

That way lies Evil.