On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 05:19:08PM -0400, James Carlson wrote:

> The original reason for /usr/sfw was to prevent users from wandering
> into External (extremely volatile; not necessarily compatible from
> patch to patch) software.  But with GNOME integrating into /usr/bin as
> External and with the realization that the pain of torquing every
> $PATH was much higher than the value (if any) gained from the
> segregation, we've decided to drop the idea.
>
> (There are other reasons behind it, but the lack of a firm grounding
> for differentiation by stability was the key issue.)

Pffft. How about avoiding the "Microsoft Explorer/Media Player" factor?
In other words, having Sun recognize (in comparison to what microsoft did)
that yes, their customers may want to run something OTHER than the
sun-shipped browser/media player/GNOME version/....

Having the separation makes it feasible for your customers to choose
alternative vendors for various components,
and even having multiple vendors versions of similar products installed.