* Dennis Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-01-15 16:39]:

>   I am beginning to think that ZFS is a feature of Vista because it
> seems to eat all available RAM endlessly.

There is a ZFS FAQ somewhere indicating that ZFS *appears* to hog
memory because it uses as much as it can, but it supposedly
relinquishes memory as soon as an app calls for it.

I thought that should be pointed out, though I am not quick to accept
it myself.  How does the kernel ask ZFS processes for more memory?
Does this mean the kernel must have specific knowledge of ZFS?  If so,
then how would linux developers pull off running ZFS via FUSE
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FUSE_%28Linux%29)?  It seems there's a
loose end somewhere.

If you run some other memory intensive processes, do you notice ZFS
cutting them any slack?