Joerg Schilling wrote:
Bart Smaalders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Both the original SPARC 64 bit port and the amd64 bit port
were started with gcc.  Solaris 10's x64 binaries are

I thought that in 1996, there was no 64 bit sparc support in GCC.

maybe not in the publically available GCC but Sun had to start somewhere and IIRC the one of the first steps was creating a GCC tool chain to do 64 bit sparc support. That 64 bit sparc support was later released to the world as part of the mainline GCC train.

At least thats how I remember it but that was my first year at Sun ;-)

--
Darren J Moffat