Alan Coopersmith wrote:
Girts Zeltins wrote:
I will soon sent email to OpenGroup to talk about CDE open sourcing in this year and I want to think what will Sun do if CDE will be fully open sourced. I think then CDE will revive and there will be possible faster to improove it by community.

I've failed to convince the Desktop management to even move from
our closed source Motif 2.1 to OpenMotif - the only thing they
want to do with CDE is stop spending resources on it so they can
concentrate those resources on JDS.    Open sourcing CDE will
just allow the removal of CDE from Solaris to happen faster, since
then they can offer the open source release as an alternative to
customers who still want it.

  There is one more issue here. Since JDS is the focus now, then
  Java/Swing/AWT on Solaris should stop using motif and switch
  over to Gtk+ as it does on Linux. This removes compatibility
  problems with other distributions. I had to hack OpenMotif source
  to make it work properly with Java on BeleniX.

  Obviously this is not a Java forum but just wanted to point out the
  issue.

Regards,
Moinak.