On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 09:55:37AM +1300, Glynn Foster wrote:

> But there's absolutely no consistency with that. There's no
> guidelines or best practices of how to apply the membership. If one
> community's interpretation of the process is easier for geting 'Core
> Contributor' status compared to another community's process, then
> you're potentially going to get a weighted community.  No one wants
> that, it'll only lead to bitterness among the wider community.

Yes, that's a valid concern, and in fact I noticed very early on that
we had this problem already.  As of the last publication, the
communities have core contributor representation as follows:

   4 academic
   1 approach
   9 arc
   4 brandz
   9 cab
   9 desktop
   5 documentation
   4 dtrace
   6 fm
   5 i18n
   2 immigrants
  10 install
  11 laptop
   6 marketing
   5 mdb
   8 network
   3 nfs
  48 on
   9 performance
   4 ppc
   5 smf
   9 testing
  23 tools
 105 usergroup
   3 x
  15 zfs
   6 zones

That is, almost 1/3 of all core contributors represent the user
groups, and another 15% are the ON CRT.  Surely, you'd think, user
groups aren't the single most important activity we have going, more
than twice as important as anything else.

In truth, the problem we have today is not that some communities have
made it too easy to obtain core contributorship, or even that there is
no consistent guideline for awarding it.  Simply put, the largest
problem is that some communities have done a good job of identifying
contributors and others have not.  A secondary problem is that some
communities (without regard for their relative value) simply don't
have very many contributors.  In the long run, this suggests that
per-Community representation may someday be needed a la the United
States Senate.  In the short run, it suggests that some communities
are poorly organised and led, and those communities will be the ones
who are left without a voice, leaving interested parties to petition
for replacement or dissolution of those ineffective communities.

Until we have a sensible set of communities with clear and effective
leadership, I see little reason for the OGB to issue guidelines in an
effort to prevent communities from granting core contributorship too
easily.  That problem will be better addressed after community
reorganisation.

> While I can appreciate how it on a local level within the various
> OpenSolaris sub-communities, so that you build up a web of trust
> when technical issues need to be tackled, I'm still really
> struggling how it fits with the wider global OpenSolaris

Likewise.  A lot of this depends on exactly what role the OGB will
claim for itself.  The proposed Constitution gives vast, dare I say
unconscionable, power to the OGB and to my way of thinking relies far
too much on the goodness of its members and the vigilance of the
electorate to ensure proper use of that power (rather than placing
stricter limits on the OGB but giving its members greater independence
to act within those limits).  The requirement for such widespread and
intimate participation in government may well turn out to be a serious
handicap in a community in which many or most participants would
rather engineer software, especially if such an unbalanced situation
arises.  That's doubly true given that, so far, the balance of power
is firmly against those who "just want to write code."  If this
situation persists, the OGB may need to consider structural changes to
the Constitution, assuming it's ratified.  What shape those changes
might take would depend on the nature of the imbalance and the
rulemaking areas into which the OGB chooses to wade.

--
Keith M Wesolowski              "Sir, we're surrounded!"
FishWorks                       "Excellent; we can attack in any direction!"