On Wed, 2 May 2007, Artem Kachitchkine wrote:

Am I alone in finding this scheme of naming convoluted? Can't this be made simpler? Are there any plans to do so?

Many people find it convoluted and someday it should be fixed (or hope that the PC industry catches up on EFI/GPT). Next time Frank Hofmann is in the U.S., buy him a drink and he'll tell you all about it :)

I stand to that, but brace yourself. I get very chatty, and it's a long story ...

Today, Solaris can be installed only on a primary partition. Are there plans to change this?

AFAIK it is being worked on. From the ARC caselog http://opensolaris.org/os/community/arc/caselog/2006/ :

PSARC 2006/379 Solaris on Extended partition   inception held 08/02/2006

It's been a while since the inception, not sure what's the latest status of this project.

Pavan might be reading this list. I'll mail him tomorrow and ask.

FrankH.

-Artem.