> Fundamentally, Sun seems to look at OpenSolaris as a
> product, and I think
> there's fault in that vision. In your example, I
> would site that Fedora
> and Ubuntu are different to me. Why? Because Fedora
> is supposed to be the
> open and free version of Red Hat. Do you think Red
> Hat markets Fredora as
> a product for ROI as a business? IOW, is media sales
> considered an actual
> revenue? They used to look at Red Hat Linux as a
> revenue in regard to
> selling media, as they do RHES now, AFAIK. But do
> you think Red Hat
> expanded to open up more potential revenues? I'm
> just curious how you look
> at that.

So Redhat should have just loped off Red Hat Linux and
suffered a backlash by going subscription model only?
I bet they saw that most users just got themselves a
RHN account for each box and maintained their updates
that way no matter how inconvenient. Going Fedora
allowed them to convert these into their beta testers
and also get rid of their update bandwidth load and
stale accounts. They were getting no revenues anyway
(Red Hat Linux was freely downloaded) and now they get
to save costs, keep their popularity and get plenty of
feedback  for their potential new offerings.

> One problem I have is that whenever corporate gets
> their minds around
> products, they start to associate revenue streams
> with them. OpenSolaris
> should not be thought of in that regard, and more to
> the point, Sun should
> focus their marketing and revenue streams around
> Solaris which is their
> product. This is similar to the relation between
> RHES and Fedora for Red
> Hat, and I see Ubuntu being much different than
> Fedora in that regard,
> isn't Ubuntu a business/company?

Where is the guarantee of a revenue stream for Ubuntu
even though Ubuntu is run by a business besides the
latest Dell support contract?

> I am very confused about some of the recent events
> in regards to
> OpenSolaris, including your involvment, and not sure
> how marketing and
> engineering co-exist in the free world to be honest.
> There is apparently
> some rough edges in that relationship, as evident by
> reaction to said
> recent events. I will say that any live blooded
> programmer is welcome to
> the community, can you still code? <gd&r> I mean no
> disrespect, but if we
> could get marketing to fund reqs for spots in the
> OpenSolaris community, I
> think we should leverage that more at Sun. Please
> make it a requirement
> that they can code though...;-)

IMHO, the Open Solaris community needs more than just programmers.