On 5/16/07, James Carlson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The opposite could be said about Solaris. A) Solaris has an
> illustrious history of adopting useless standards,

That part is pretty well true.  Anyone remember XFN?

I do. I even used it.

In fairness, I think the people who worked on that were actually
trying to do something more ambitious: they were trying to define and
popularize a new standard.

Indeed, it had considerable potential. A simple, flexible, powerful,
extensible mechanism for defining preferences. Hm. Could do with
something like that...

One problem with it was that even Sun didn't make much use of it.
In particular, while CDE could use it in principle and would have
benefitted greatly, for some reason the Sun CDE didn't.

--
-Peter Tribble