On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 01:02:16PM +1200, Glynn Foster wrote:

> Including a list of leaders is easily doable, though I was worried
> that it might alienate the people who are keen to be involved - or
> those within other projects that are doing a lot of the work
> building the technology. If it's a necessity for an approval add Ian
> Murdock and myself.

An appropriate time for individuals to learn about a prospective
project and have an opportunity to join the team is during the
discussion of its merits and goals within one or more Community
Groups.  Those groups are where the people most likely to be
interested will be found and inspired.

> Absolutely, it is out of the current scope of what we've already put
> in place on opensolaris.org. Cool huh? I don't believe we're any
> more equal than just about any other community group or project - in
> fact, if anything, they are even more important. Indiana just pulls
> all those bits together in where I feel there's an amazing
> opportunity.

If you want to create an OpenSolaris reference distribution, or any
distribution that advertises itself as having that status, some type
of community-wide approval will be required.  It seems likely that the
OGB is the appropriate body to consider such a proposal.  Given the
lack of detail, absence of an actual distribution to examine, the
small size of the project team, and the lack of any sponsoring Group,
I would personally find it impossible to support such a proposal
today.  However, as I pointed out earlier, there is no reason to tie
your project proposal(s) to such a desire; a more appropriate and
reasonable time to propose a reference distribution would be at a time
when a distribution has achieved recognition as a successful and
technically excellent piece of work.

Also, while language requiring that projects have a finite duration
has not yet been approved, it might be more helpful to break this
proposal into a series of more concrete projects with clearly defined
scope, goals, and stopping points.  This would make it easier for
potential sponsors to evaluate them and would offer much-needed
clarity to what has unfortunately become a confusing situation for
many.

--
Keith M Wesolowski              "Sir, we're surrounded!"
FishWorks                       "Excellent; we can attack in any direction!"