On 6/1/07, Giles Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I do think that if it goes ahead, calling the reference distribution by the
name OpenSolaris is dangerous ( does that mean that Belenix /isn't/ opensolaris? ).

Even if it is called by another name, if it is prominently featured on
opensolaris.org without others being represented...

the others are featured on the download page as well, I imagine (hope)
that Ian's distro won't be given special privilege just simply because
Sun execs thought it up

> I also have huge fears that this becomes just another Sun product that we can
only watch, lacking real non-sun community contributions ( which is the heart of
my complaints about tools )

nexenta is currently the only distro that has non-sun contributions (i
read this as non-sun engineer in opensolaris community, not sure if
you have another meaning) and those contributions are also not from
the opensolaris community. Are you going to help nexenta out?

I actually don't discount the community contributions of sun's
engineers either, Alan Coopersmith, Alan Heargreaves, Glynn Foster, a
long line of others all do great work as members of the community,
helping out beyond what their job description dictates with
occasionally little regard as to how it helps Sun out, they just
happen to work as employees of SUNW. There are also community members
that do great work outside of sun. The differentiation is a soft one,
and that's whether they're doing work for a Sun product that happens
to be open source, or working on an open source project & sun happens
to sign their paycheques.

Sun has both sorts of engineers, and an overabundance of the wrong
sort of ( managers, lawyers? i don't know who the hostile elements are
).

My initial hostility towards ian's distro is that it reeks of
something just given to us by on high by "The Great Managers at SUNW"
(cathedral model) rather than any sort of community effort (bazaar
model) and I fear that'll translate in to the product being just some
advertising campaign for Sun, which is a co-opting of the community
for undesirable ends. I don't have a problem with sun making money,
even if it's off the contributions of the community so long as they
are also an active, friendly member of the community. To treat the
community as little more than a tool for your advertising campaign
however, is antisocial and a good way to encourage forking the
codebase.

As for the second question, no, I'm not a fan of the gnu userspace,
but I support what nexenta does

--
PGP Public Key 0x437AF1A1
Availiable on hkp://pgp.mit.edu