Is anyone other than myself interested in seeing an IA64/Itanium port
of OpenSolaris?

My reasoning is that Solaris already runs on two of the 4 major
enterprise architectures (SPARC & x86/amd64) and a port to a third is
making strides recently ( I'm referring to the ppc32 port ).

Since Sun already had an IA64 port underway half a decade ago, they
may be able to look in to the legalities of opening it back up. I'm
sure there's some sort of legal wrangling between them and Intel that
can go on, since Intel would undoubtedly love to see more ia64
customers, and Sun already sells Solaris to HP's x86 customers.

Failing that, of course, if anyone's interested in doing a straight-up
re-port based on the current onnv-gate ( or ppc-dev gate, if that
proves to be more portable ) that's an option as well.

This port may actually prove easier logistically than the PPC port, as
there's already an accurate ia64 simulator ( it's called ski ) out
there, though it only runs on HPUX, Linux ( I haven't tried it with
brandZ ) & FreeBSD.

So, that in mind, any comments?