> None of Intel's cards have thermal sensors, and their
> driver software is very
> basic.  NVIDIA is the only company to provide
> accelerated drivers and
> utilities to non-Windows operating systems.  You
> don't set the resolution
> with the utlity, that's why the XRandR extension was
> such an important
> milestone to accomplish when X.org 7.x was instituted
> on OpenSolaris.  Again,
> the Intel cards lack the functionality.
>
> James

Thank you James. It looks like I am OK now, as I think both the Nvidia and the
Intel graphics are working correctly. I can live with reduced control on Intel.

I see some web page say Sony claim 4.5 hours typical use on the Intel chip set
of this laptop and 3.5 when using the Nvidia. I can't say I've seen that from
Sony, nor can I say I have measured it myself, but it does run significantly
warmer when using the Nvidia, so I can well believe it reduces the battery life
by 20-25%.