On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 19:04:03 -0800 Bart Smaalders <bart.smaald...@sun.com>
wrote:

> Mike Meyer wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 17:42:00 -0500 (EST) Dennis Clarke
> > <dcla...@blastwave.org> wrote:
> >> If the Solaris commands become a superset of the Gnu ones, then that
> >> position becomes a fait accompli.
> >
> > Thus avoiding the entire question of whether or not that's the best -
> > or even a desirable - goal.
>
> There are lots of proposals for someone else to do work, but few
> volunteers stepping up to the plate.  I'm suggesting that those who
> argue in favor of extensive changes to the existing Solaris commands
> can demonstrate their commitment and interest by helping out. It's not
> like we have a large team here at Sun tasked w/ this (or many other)
> projects.

And I'm pointing out that you're assuming that turning the Solaris
tools into supersets of the GNU tools is a desirable solution.

Others have pointed out that the GNU tools tend to be broken for
various different definitions of broken. I'll add that their designs
are also broken. They seem to suffer from creeping featurism and
bloat. Try figuring out what it would take to turn the solaris cp into
a superset of GNU cp, for instance. Well, some of the commands seem
that way.  Some are fine - that there's no real consistency between
them is another issue.

I'm all for updating the Solaris command set to include features from
newer versions of the commands on other systems; I just think it
should be done a bit more carefully than declaring that "the goal is
GNU". Especially since there's almost certainly always going to be a
need to have a version of the real GNU toolset, since the GNU folks
seem to have a habit of generating software that assume all the
world's a GNU.

           <mike
--
Mike Meyer <m...@mired.org>             http://www.mired.org/consulting.html