> I notice that packages seem to come in three basic
> flavors: Usr, Root, and Kernel.
>
> Can someone explain what the precise differences are?
> I assume that "Usr" is a userland package, "Root"
> requires root privileges, and "Kernel" is a kernel
>  module.  But I want to confirm that.

It's about architecture and system engineering, not about versions.

You have a component, a metacluster, in this case it is Samba.
The "r" is the root portion of this component, payload which goes into /
(usually /etc/, which is in the / filesystem).
Then there is the "u" portion of the component, which goes into the /usr
filesystem.
Finally there is the "kr" portion of the component, which usually delivers
(kernel) drivers.

> And, in the case of Samba, there are several packages
> available and I'm not sure which one to pick:

You shouldn't pick any of them; Solaris now has a CIFS kernel module, which
makes Samba obsolete, at least for file serving. Read up on it on
http://docs.sun.com/