On 01/28/10 09:07 PM, Jason King wrote:
I seem to recall the whole point of the project Indiana (now
OpenSolaris the distribution) versus SXCE was to have a desktop
oriented distribution (with the idea of trying to entice developers
from other *nix variants).  Hence the prioritization of the graphical
installer before a text-based one (thus x86 before sparc), interactive
installations before automated ones, nwam being the default, bash
being the default shell, GNU utilities being the default, etc.  If
someone wants to argue those are appropriate for a server setting
instead of a desktop, I'd like to know the name of their pharmacist =]

Given that almost all of the bits of functionality you mentioned above are often found in GNU/Linux server distributions too, I don't see the issue. Yes, some of the bits were prioritised before others, but I've used (and installed) numerous GNU/Linux distributions in the past that used graphical installers, automated network configuration, GNU utilities, and bash as the default shell :)

Somehow, I don't think those are issues that are a large barrier to adoption. And yes, I remember installing operating systems from *tape* and floppy disk...you want to talk about barriers!

--
Shawn Walker