> To make a desktop OS work as a data center OS is not
> remotely the best engineering practice.  Could you
> run Solaris 8 on a desktop?  Sure.  But why?  It
> wasn't practical.  Could you use Windows 95 as a
> server?  Probably many did.  But why?  That wasn't
> its intended use.
And where is that Solaris now? The most widespread server enterprise OS are
Windows Server 2003/2008 and different Linux distributions.
It's the worst policy: "we are cool server OS for REALLY BIG SPARC SERVERS". It
made Solaris 10... not very popular. How many good Solaris admins can you find?
How much do they want to earn? And every student can manage Windows 2003 after
some months of training. It is like Win XP. (Yes, it may have in some type
different architecture, it's not easy to administrate it correctly (as every
other OS), but it looks familiar and simple).
Linux was the most available Unix-like OS. And after people had tried it, they
didn't want to study commercial Unix (Solaris, HP-UX, AIX and other monsters).
These OS looked unfamiliar and strange.
RedHat appeared as mass spread desktop Linux. Ubuntu is the most wide spread
desktop Linux - and now it goes to server market.  I heard a lot some wishes
for Oracle to officially support Ubuntu Server...
And do you really say that Oracle will close OpenSolaris project? It is the
most stupid step they can do. The popularity of OS is determined not only by
its quality, but even more (do you remember Win 98 servers in SMB area ?) by
its community ....