I absolutely agree with this point of view. Would like just to add that
whileLinux has it roots in community - everyone knows how it emerged before
companiesstarted to give significant code contributions, Solaris was completely
differentstory - commercial UNIX-certified OS.
It means that for each issue in Linux you could find person on some mailing
listto explain to you how it is done and some rationale behind it so you could
seeweather your improvement would be real or it was already discussed and
realizedthat "your way of thinking" leads to more error prone code.
If you wanted to use Solaris you had to buy license and you have plenty
ofmaterial how to "use" but very small amount of "how it is designed". These
daysthere are such books and documentation, but unfortunately when you start
exploringthe code usually you get stuck after few days of "bug investigation".
Only"community" who knows something about it predominantly consists of SUN
employees.It means that they have to be "seeds" for building successful
OpenSolaris Community.Otherwise, community would be responsible for some
marginal tasks like marketing,translation of documentation, porting of
third-party open source, etc. For somesignificant SunOS development there will
be no room for us since there are notso much knowledge inside community to make
whole project sustainable.
My idea was that any of us could contact some SUN engineer responsible for
somepart of code and that he become "mentor" and lead community member thru
contributionprocess. I know that it already exists but I think that small
amount of engineersare available for this process.
Regards,Uros