Come on, Chicken Little, "probably"? Are all things that you are otherwise
pre-disposed to believe probable? There are no announced details on numbers,
but the Register seems to think this is about operational staff in Europe and
Asia (not that I want to promote their authority, but to the extent that anyone
is claiming to have any information about details, however questionably
sourced, they don't gel with your preferred views):

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/07/oracle_sun_layoffs/

First you want to insist that, because you can't find the word "OpenSolaris" as
a headline rather body item that this means that OpenSolaris will shortly cease
to exist. You don't consider whether, say, OpenOffice is being treated
differently because it has a far different brand history. Instead, anything
that backs your pessimistic predisposition is interpreted as a sign of
impending doom and gloom, even if this requires you to step over facts. Sure,
you might prefer that Oracle amplify the message of OpenSolaris support, but
there's nothing inconsistent in saying that OpenSolaris is part of how Solaris
is developed and subsumed under its brand. The paradox you do not consider is
that OpenSolaris is safe precisely because it is indissociable, part of how
Solaris is made rather than an utterly distinct product in its own right.

To the extent that the community wishes further security, sniping about Oracle
communications policy misses the crux and is fundamentally counter-productive.
What is important to the level of security people are demanding isn't so much
creating user groups and making the OpenSolaris community a province of Oracle
marketing but getting involved in how the product is developed and developing
competencies and a governance function that lets the community resolve
concerns, like projects to replace binary blob content with community code or
simplifying the process of source distribution of code that Oracle propagates
more slowly into its repos. (Not that I think user groups are useless, just
that they are something that the community ought to be doing to get the
credibility to work with Oracle on more fundamental concerns.) Or to put it
more fundamentally: OpenSolaris community participation should not be reduced
to enthusiasm alone, and trying to engage with Oracle by threatening
  less enthusiasm is simply a variation on a mistaken theme. What this misses
is an ambition to "work on" OpenSolaris as something more and other than a
viral marketing campaign.

Waiting around for a release and complaining that it seems to be taking a
suspiciously long time isn't a reasonable way to move things forward. A way
forward will be when people are prepared to come to Oracle with constructive
feedback on community-driven governance and contributions.