> Putting the flag does not seem to do anything to the
> system. Here is my power.conf file:
> autopm                enable
> autoS3                        enable
> S3-support            enable

Problem seems to be that all power managed devices
must be at their lowest power level, otherwise autoS3
won't suspend the system.  And somehow one or more
device does not reach the lowest power level.

The number of devices that are currently not at
their lowest power level can be monitored on the
kernel variable "pm_comps_notlowest", e.g. like this:

    # echo pm_comps_notlowest::print | mdb -k
    0x3

When the returned number ever reaches 0, the
system should start the auto suspend.

On my Tecra A10 laptop running b134 the s-ata hdd
and s-ata optical device are power managed, and both
cpu cores are power managed.

I experimented with these additional /etc/power.conf entries
to get the hdd and dvd drive powered down:

    device-thresholds   /p...@0,0/pci1179,1...@1f,2/d...@0,0 (20s 20s 20s)
    device-thresholds   /p...@0,0/pci1179,1...@1f,2/cd...@1,0 60s

These physical device paths are from:

# iostat -En
c5t0d0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0
Vendor: ATA      Product: Hitachi HTS72323 Revision: C30F Serial No:
Size: 320,07GB <320072933376 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 0 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 10 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0
c5t1d0           Soft Errors: 0 Hard Errors: 10 Transport Errors: 0
Vendor: MATSHITA Product: DVD-RAM UJ880AS  Revision: 1.21 Serial No:
Size: 0,00GB <0 bytes>
Media Error: 0 Device Not Ready: 10 No Device: 0 Recoverable: 0
Illegal Request: 0 Predictive Failure Analysis: 0

# ls -l /dev/rdsk/c5t0d0s2
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          51 Feb 20 20:26 /dev/rdsk/c5t0d0s2 ->
../../devices/p...@0,0/pci1179,1...@1f,2/d...@0,0:c,raw

# ls -l /dev/rdsk/c5t1d0s2
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root          52 Feb 20 20:26 /dev/rdsk/c5t1d0s2 ->
../../devices/p...@0,0/pci1179,1...@1f,2/cd...@1,0:c,raw

I also experimented with disabling event mode for cpupm,
by changing cpupm to poll mode in power.conf,

    cpupm                       enable          poll-mode

The laptop still does not power down, because every
30 seconds there is a batch of writes to the hdd drive,
apparently from zfs, and that keeps the hdd powered up.

The periodic writes can be monitored with:

    dtrace -s /usr/demo/dtrace/iosnoop.d

After I lowered the hdd timeouts to 7 seconds,
the hdd would transition from active->idle->standby->off
before the next batch of zfs writes (in 3*7 = 21 seconds),
and the system did automatically enter S3.