> The laptop still does not power down, because every
> 30 seconds there is a batch of writes to the hdd drive,
> apparently from zfs, and that keeps the hdd powered up.

It was caused by b134 gnome-terminal. I had an iostat
running in a gnome-terminal window, and the periodic
iostat output is written to a temporary file by gnome-terminal.
This kept the hdd busy.  Older gnome-terminals (b111)
didn't write terminal output to a disk file.  Workaround is
to use xterm instead of b134 gnome-terminal. for a
command that periodically produces output

Another problematic binary is firefox.  It periodically writes
to the sqlite database files in the profile directory
$HOME/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/