<snip>

> On my Mac (under VirtualBox, since it's
> tedious to set up a
> Mac to triple-boot, and I already have to have XP on
> there for a few
> gadgets that only can be updated from XP, plus the
> service manual on
> CD for one of my cars, that can only be viewed with
> IE), OpenSolaris
> seems about the same to me as the last SXCE, except
> that I still prefer CDE
> (having used it since it first came to Suns).

<snip>

It's really not a very good way to gauge the performance of a desktop based
experiences from running the Virtualbox images (unless you have the 2D
acceleration turned on, which is available only for Windows guests).

That said, many of my friends are amazed to learn that they can so effortlessly
run such a highly revered OS (the Solaris proper, not OpenSolaris--most of them
really don't care about the latter and I am sure Oracle's people cannot avoid
sensing that) on their own notebook.  The trick is to send them the entire
.VirtualBox folder--with Solaris10u8 pre-installed, of course.  All they need
to do is to install the VBox executable.

I believe at least for the short run, Oracle's efforts will go a longer
distance, and the payback will be sweeter and more immediate, by improving the
performance of Solaris as a VBox guest.  Once Solaris (re)gains momentum, so
will OpenSolaris.  For those nay sayers, the genie is already out of the
bottle, the Open Solaris project will never die if the community does not want
it to.  For Oracle, I (my opinion and my opinion only) just don't see how
anyone other than the previous Sun's management, will be willing to continue to
shovel hard earned $$$ into this seemingly (again, my opinion and my opinion
only) bottomless pit.

OTOH, most of us are aware that it is very difficult to fully demonstrate the
comparative--and unique--advantages of OpenSolaris unless it is installed into
a hard disc (or its equivalent).  A couple of weeks ago, I was at the Computex
Taipei and had my first experience of installing and then running OS0906 from a
USB 3.0 stick.  The main difference between USB 2.0 and 3.0, as far as my
interest in running Solaris/OpenSolaris is concerned, is not just speed, but
the latter's ability to do full-duplex data transfer.  The anticipated
proliferation of USB 3.0 should greatly increase interests in OpenSolaris.