> > Thanks. Oracle also provides a VirtualBox Solaris
> 10
> > 10/09 Appliance Image in Open Virtual Format
> (OVF):
> >

> https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-
>

> CDS_SMI-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?Produ
>
> > ctref=virtualbox-s10u8-x86-...@cds-cds_smi
> >
> > This is a standard default installation of the
> > Solaris 10 10/09 Operating system, which means
> that
> > it only has the posix-C local installed. To show,
> > say, Chinese characters, the user must
> subsequently
> > install appropriate locale(s). I forgot how to do
> > that, but if I was able to do it, then it should
> not
> > be very difficult.
>
> There appear to be a lot of interests in trying to at
> least become familiar with the Solaris proper.  I
> apologize that I am unable to individually respond to
> those of you who have requested for more info.
>  However, I have:
>
> (1)  attached a script file to install Oracle
> VirtualBox 3.2.6 into Ubuntu Lucid (Windows users can
> simply run the installation binary); and
>
> (2)  provided a set of screenshots to illustrate how
> to install (more specifically, "import") the
> Solaris_10_u8 OVF provided by Oracle:
>
> http://picasaweb.google.com/107164603204036199351/Sola
> risInVBox#
>
> Pictures 1 through 7 show the main steps of creating
> a blank vdi disk image (similar to preparing a hard
> disk).  Pictures 8 through 14 illustrate the main
> steps of importing the OVF into this disk image.  The
> rest are screenshots of running the Solaris 10
> virtual machine.
>
> I plan to provide a more detailed HOWTO after Solaris
> 10 update 9 comes out.
>
> BTW, to run the installation script, you must first
> make it executable by executing the following
> command:
>
> chmod +x virtualbox.sh
>
> then proceed with running the script.  I am sure
> everyone is aware of this, but just in case. . .

I have installed OpenOffice.org 3.2 in this Solaris10u8 vdi (plse see the
attached screenshot).  Previously I had a lot of trouble installing it in
OpenSolaris, but this time around, the process seems to be straightforward.

Even without the inclusion of OO.o 3.2 and Firefox 3.6.6, Solaris 10, which has
built-in Firefox 2 and StarOffice 8, can serve as a pretty solid desktop OS for
business users.  Of course, performance-wise, OpenSolaris--and more
particularly any of the well-known Linux distros--will be a better choice, but
the Solaris proper has its unique appeals, for use as a business desktop OS.