kgund...@teamcool.net said:
> ....  Support being effectively unaccessible on non Sun
> branded hardware,

I don't understand why people are saying this.  As I have mentioned
before, we have a Dell system running Solaris-10 which is covered under
an Oracle Premium Support for Operating Systems contract (just purchased
the contract in June).

> ..., coupled with ensuing exorbitant support fees even if you were
> running on Sun branded hardware, have made S10 irrelevant to this market. The
> path Sun had previously tried to encourage from OS to S10 and support for
> those who needed it have been priced out of reach for all but those
> enterprises with the deepest of pockets.

This also does not match our experience.  Naturally, "exorbitant" is
relative to one's own cash flow, but really, the prices are not horrible,
and we are in the non-profit/education end of the market.  The current
"Premium" support prices are either the same as, or significantly lower
than, the Gold- or Silver-level contracts were under Sun.  On most of our
systems the Oracle support prices are much lower than they were before.

Don't get me wrong:  We are paying more than we used to, because we used
to rely on free security updates for less-than-critical systems.  And we
will likely cut back on our use of Solaris on these lower-end services
(nameservers, mail servers, and the like), and focus its use where ZFS
and zones are valuable.  But Solaris is not irrelevant and need not
disappear altogether from our operation.

And if Oracle does not come up with a hardware pricing scheme similar to
Sun's Education Essentials program, we may have bought our last piece of
Sun/Oracle hardware.  We see the x64 lineup currently as being cheaper
than HP, but more expensive than Dell.

Regards,

Marion