"how is that different from anything else (every OS I know of is like that)"

You mean every other operating system runs on a mainframe?  No they don't.  AIX
(from IBM) doesn't run on a mainframe.  OS X, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Windows, OS/2,
none of those run on a mainframe.  Even NetBSD which would have the best chance
since it runs on anything doesn't run on a mainframe (that I know).

Outside of Linux for System Z, z/OS, z/VM, z/VSE, z/PF, there aren't any other
supported operating systems on the IBM mainframe.  (OpenSolaris isn't listed,
so it must have been dropped).