You seem to be operating under the delusion that a commercial support contracts
are magic bullets for  protection from unplanned outages.  Let me assure you in
reality it is far from it.  Indeed, in many instances in house experts can
offer more expedient resolutions, especially for issues that don't qualify at
the highest levels, e.g. 'Priority 1' of the SLA.  If it's my itch I'm
motivated to scratch it.  First hand experience doing exactly that with both
Oracle and Red Hat (since those two seems to get frequent mention as examples).
I think a big part of the impetus, indeed if not the primary reason many
enterprises commit to support contracts is for the indemnity aspect - in other
words, somewhere else to point the finger if/when something goes horribly
wrong.  This can be as simple as saving a sysadmin/engineers job to saving a
company from bearing sole liability arising from costly lawsuits.  Commercial
support contracts are not the holy grail.

My $0.02, ymmv....