> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Richard L. Hamilton
> <rlha...@smart.net> wrote:
>
> > Until Indiana was self-hosting, they built on SXCE.
> > AFAIK, once Indiana was self-hosting, they built on
> it.
> >
> > Some (no doubt not all) would like to stay in sync
> with what they're
> > building on, as much as possible.
> >
> > How well will a community distro be able to do
> that?
>
> Either we heave-ho and try to chase IPS, wherever
> that leads us, and
> try to stay as much as possible in lock step with
> where their
> installation/BE/build architecture takes us; or we
> realize that we
> DON'T have to play the NIH game that started IPS and
> we fill in the
> gaps with some  other enviroment/packaging.  Chris B.
> and the OSUnix
> gang made a heck of a run getting things to build
> with another system
> and packaging.  Is it critical that we try to create
> an upgrade path
> from 2009.11?

For a kewl desktop or appliance, probably not.  For contributing,
it would help to stay reasonably in sync.  If IPS or something
tied into it (the be* commands?) were involved, it might be necessary.

A packaging system is a packaging system.  IPS is nobody's favorite,
but that's better than arguing the merits of rpm vs deb vs BSD ports vs ...

> Look, there's source for several consolidations.
>  It'll build on at
> east some version of a recent build for the moment --
> or at least
> some version of it does.  Nexenta used a completely
> different
> packaging system and they managed to track and
> incorporate changes
> until recently.  I know you've been running down the
> information gap
> and reverse engineering things -- imagine if you
> actually had help
> with that aspect.
>
> There's one edge that we have that Oracle does not,
> by the way.
> Consider for a moment the /contrib repository.  Ask
> yourself if Oracle
> has the resources to maintain a large port tree.  Sun
> had ramped up
> resources and infrastructure for enabling the growth
> of such a tree --
> including internally managing many ports in house --
> and Oracle seems
> to have taken a 180 on this approach.  That's, to me,
> a significant
> difference.

The bottleneck seems to be approvers - people who can
bless something to go from /pending to /contrib.  Fixing
that would go a long way toward increasing the package
count (which is a pretty shallow metric, but it's one everyone
seems to look for).