On 18 Jul 2010, at 00:26, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:

> For anyone who cares to read the licensing agreement for the downloaded
> version of Solaris 10, s/he should easily find out that there is no time
> limit for "internal use".  Oracle intentionally left this term undefined.
> Since any ambiguity in a contract is interpreted against the drafter, it is
> fairly safe to say that anything that does not register on Oracle's radar
> (e.g., you are not making the kind of $$$ that's worth Oracle's attorney
> fees) will fall under the "internal use" exception.

I am afraid I'm pretty sure you're living in denial.

Let me quote Dan Roberts, Director of Solaris Product Management at Oracle:

Q - PT - What about support on third-party hardware? [Talking about OpenSolaris
support]

A - DR - At this point Oracle is very focused on places where they can make
revenue and margin. Unfortunately for us, we have not seen a good uptake on
those standalone subscriptions. Has seen more emails on the topic than the
total number of systems sold. Hard to make a case. At this point, there are no
plans to support non-Sun systems. We will continue to honor existing contracts
for the term of that contract. Over time, we hope to move folks over to Sun
hardware.

Q - PT - What about regular Solaris?

A - DR - Same answer as above.

Q - PT - Will the ability to download and run it without support continue?

A - DR - Look at the licenses carefully. Production deployments will require a
support agreement which is sold on Sun systems only.

-
http://blogs.everycity.co.uk/alasdair/2010/07/solaris-10-for-free-or-on-non-sun-hardware-is-dead/

"Production deployments will require a support agreement which is sold on Sun
systems only."

Unless I've completely misinterpreted this, Solaris 10 cannot be used in
production without a support contract. So yes, you can use it for testing
(which is what i'd imagine "internal use" means). But you can't stick your
production Oracle DB on it. Given you can't buy a support contract for non Sun
hardware (except from Dell on some systems at the moment, until their OEM
contract expires), this means on Sun hardware only.

Best case scenario and you're correct about the trial, it still means you can't
get updates/security fixes without running it on Sun hardware with a support
contract. Personally, I try not to run production systems without security
updates. I'd hope others don't either.

I'm completely happy (and would love to be) corrected here. But that's my
unfortunate understanding.