On 07/22/10 05:56 PM, Jason wrote:
At a previous job most of their Sparc systems were upgraded from
Solaris 2.6->8->10 via live upgrade.  Obviously new systems got the
latest standard, and not every system that went from 2.6->8 was still
around to do the 8->10 upgrade, but at one point we had around 1200
sparc systems (all servers, no desktops) that we maintained in our
department (with three other groups of similar size).   The reduced
downtime of the update was _critical_ in allowing this to happen
(otherwise the business would force us to run ancient versions
forever).  This was probably one of the few things that kept them from
tossing Sun out the door completely (which at one point they were
trying to do) -- since they were obsessed with system availability (to
a sometimes absurd extent), it provide a very distinct advantage over
the AIX and HP-UX systems they had.

I suspect they would be quite disappointed (to put it mildly) if there
is no way to do something similar (at least an installer that can run
in an older version to lay down the bits in unused space).

As Bart said, most don't do this, though I am aware of at least one customer who does (probably the same one, based on your description). Honestly, they're doing what we would have recommended for everyone but didn't work hard enough to get widely accepted. I'm sure we'll work with them to find an acceptable solution to their needs, but it's more likely to be a special case, not a general one.

Dave

Since the hardware, OS versions (including patches), as well as other
software was tested and controlled rather carefully, we had very few
problems with this.