"> The only problem I can see in regards to how IPS was introduced that perhaps
> more explanation to the community at the project inception about why IPS and
> not something else would do good... a little bit more open dialog with the
> community before you start coding on why IPS, what are its design goals,
> etc. would help here."

In my opinion, we will always have some gaps here, how open this process will
be.
Sun/Oracle will not ask the community unless they engage the community in
the building process. In my view RedHat is a very well player which knows how
to extract the goodies from Fedora without getting burned maintaining it ;)

We need to learn to do the same. Otherwise we will live in hope.

Regarding IPS and future we need to think and co-work this with vendor and
find a common way together. IPS has still long way until it reaches some sort of
stable status. From Finland some feedback I got from users regarding IPS
(our internal FIOSUG, and other folks regarding IPS status found on 2009.06):

 - not a download format for a package. Meaning somebody would like to
   simple download emacs.pkg and manuall install it ! Cant do that now

 - repository cloning. Still hairy and poor documentation

 - mirrors: slow links to fetch packages from US. Who cares how well and smart
   IPS is if it takes forever to have some pkgs install in your machine. Ubuntu
has
   a nice mirror list where pkgs are fetched within minutes. I can confirm as
well
   this. Its a pain sometimes to download something from main repo. I live in
Finland
   and have a 8Mbps line.

 - IPS resource consumption. Big and fat process when installing some basic
pkgs.
   Dont have facts here but I have seen it too. I had the impression some work
went
   in to get this fixed and improve things.

Greetings,
stefan