On 07/24/10 10:08 AM, Stefan Parvu wrote:
">  The only problem I can see in regards to how IPS was introduced that perhaps
more explanation to the community at the project inception about why IPS and
not something else would do good... a little bit more open dialog with the
community before you start coding on why IPS, what are its design goals,
etc. would help here."

In my opinion, we will always have some gaps here, how open this process will
be.
Sun/Oracle will not ask the community unless they engage the community in
the building process. In my view RedHat is a very well player which knows how
to extract the goodies from Fedora without getting burned maintaining it ;)

We need to learn to do the same. Otherwise we will live in hope.

Regarding IPS and future we need to think and co-work this with vendor and
find a common way together. IPS has still long way until it reaches some sort of
stable status. From Finland some feedback I got from users regarding IPS
(our internal FIOSUG, and other folks regarding IPS status found on 2009.06):

  - not a download format for a package. Meaning somebody would like to
    simple download emacs.pkg and manuall install it ! Cant do that now

One is in development (right now).

  - repository cloning. Still hairy and poor documentation

http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+pkg/Mirroring

Also see pkgrecv(1).

  - mirrors: slow links to fetch packages from US. Who cares how well and smart
    IPS is if it takes forever to have some pkgs install in your machine.
Ubuntu has
    a nice mirror list where pkgs are fetched within minutes. I can confirm as
well
    this. Its a pain sometimes to download something from main repo. I live in
Finland
    and have a 8Mbps line.

This is not an IPS issue; this is a distribution issue. Remember that all of the bits on pkg.opensolaris.org have been redistributable for a long time. That means that if someone wanted a mirror in say, Finland, they could have set one up. For that matter, one could have been setup on genunix.org a while ago.

  - IPS resource consumption. Big and fat process when installing some basic
pkgs.
    Dont have facts here but I have seen it too. I had the impression some work
went
    in to get this fixed and improve things.

Fixes went in builds after b134 that reduced memory usage by as much as 60%.

At the moment (after the fixes noted above), memory usage remains primarily a function of the amount of package data the client has to process. Considering that the /dev repository contains nearly 70,000 unique package versions, I'd say it's pretty good at the moment.

Cheers,
-Shawn