Hi Matthias!

> Looking at the fact, that OVM is free, and has a way better graphical
> management system, and also comes with already predefined "Images", I don't
> see that many problems.

Well, I don't care much about GUI management systems, I care about scripts.

> Who would really be using ZFS in the Dom0, if you build bigger environments?

I am not sure if you mention this intentionally, but this is exactly the
point:  For small and mid-sized installations, it is very convenient
to have everything "inside one box".  You do everything you can with zones,
and the rest inside VMs.  When you set up your hardware in a proper
(redundant) way, you can have the power of Solaris in the global and
non-global zones, and run other OSes in VMs.

> Dtrace in Dom0 would be useful for the device-drivers only. The Dtrace
> interface to Xen was based on an asynchronous message bus, with no guarantee
> of getting all messages, not even in time.

Don't know about that.  Dtrace is certainly useful to detect bottlenecks in VM
setup and configuration.  Now that there are rumours that Bryan Cantrill has
left Oracle, the future development of dtrace is not clear, anyway.

> Crossbow might be the only
> advantage, that's not deployable in an OVM-like environment.

One of the advantages.  :-)

> But given the
> advantages of predefined image-sets for OVM

Hmmm... what keeps Oracle from providing images for Xen?

> and the already available
> graphical interface for managing OVM,

What about Sun xVM Ops Center or whatever it was called?

> I really like the engineers working on
> making Solaris a better DomU, than working on porting Xen 4.0 to Solaris.

I want both; I want choice.  I want a stable Dom0 OS.

> You
> also no longer buy your PC based on whether it runs an AMI BIOS or an AWARD
> BIOS. That's something, that's simply there... ;-)

Now you are comparing Apples... erm... Bananas and Oranges.

Sorry, you don't really convince me that it was a technologically
sound decision.  Economically and business-oriented is another
story...

Regards -- Volker