Hi, Edward!

On 07/25/10 11:22 PM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:

Suppose you want to use solaris/opensolaris as a VM host, and Windows Server as a guest. What would be the preferred hypervisor to use? Sun Virtualbox? It is desired to start the guest when the host boots up. And vice-versa for shutdown.

I had a very good experience virtualizing in this way, and creating simple startup/shutdown scripts invoking VBoxManage startvm V_MACHINE_NAME --type headless, or --type vrdp, for example, for the boot.

I see that sol10/osol are not supported host OSes for any vmware product. And I'm rather displeased with some of the limitations of ESXi. (In other words, I don't want to virtualize *both* the solaris and windows server machines inside an ESXi hypervisor.)

Welcome home!

I presume some incantation of xen works. But I don't see it preinstalled ... and honestly I'm not in love with xen based on other experiences ...

Anyway, looking for suggestions.

Thanks.

Best regards,

HeCSa.