On 08/10/10 16:22, Paul Gress wrote:
Also, if I read in between the lines for this statement "Solaris 11
will be a superset of what is in Opensolaris", it say's to me, Oracle
is not open with Opensolaris any more.  There will likely be
proprietary extensions added not in Opensolaris.  Basically I won't
believe my statement when I see Oracle fork the Opensolaris
Development line to debug for Solaris 11.

That was always Sun's plan, right from day one of the release of OpenSolaris. It was always expected that commercial Solaris would be built on top of OpenSolaris and be a superset. Just as there are multiple consolidations that make up the distro, it was always planned that Solaris would have some layered software that was not open source. I might guess that Oracle might see an opportunity to add more such software that integrates more closely to their existing products (system management comes to mind. Perhaps OVM?) than Sun did, but there is no fundamental change here.

--
blu

It's bad civic hygiene to build technologies that could someday be
used to facilitate a police state. - Bruce Schneier