> From: opensolaris-discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org [mailto:opensolaris-
> discuss-boun...@opensolaris.org] On Behalf Of Edward Martinez
>
> >it will probably be tuned for Database and Servers.  Oracle may well
> remove most desktop and laptop functionality, after all, it's not
> required and makes support much harder.
> >Fowler added that Oracle will continue to invest  in its open source
> communities. That said he noted that Oracle really has focused its
> efforts lately on getting Solaris 11 out the door.
>
> i agree, Oracle is tuning  "Solaris 11"  for enterprise grade  servers
> and is Oracle's flag-ship UNIX, since, it has been comercialized so
> long.
>
> but when Fowler said " Oracle will continue to invest  in its open
> source communities" got me thinking OpenSolaris will be develop with
> devs,students, smaller business,etc in mind and also be somewhat of a
> preview for what will be become "next solaris".because of this  at
> oralce's solaris OTN site  #(Learn about OpenSolaris: Get a preview of
> the next generation of the Solaris OS)
>
> I don't think opensolaris at first will  include software and be
> optimized for "enterprise grade servers"  until it gets  branch off as
> "solaris next".
>  this is probably, what we are witnesseen with opensolaris being at
> b134 for so long,

Isn't this all what I've said right along?  It's the only thing that makes
sense:

#1  Solaris is extremely out of date w.r.t. opensolaris.  Oracle needs to
release a commercially viable updated solaris while they still have an edge
over BTRFS and Ontap.  And other commercial OSes such as OSX that have not
yet embraced ZFS.

#2  Oracle sells servers, not laptops.  They'll include a GUI, but it has
always been, and will continue to be, a pretty basic gnome.  Nothing flashy
like aero or compiz or aqua.  They are designing it to be servers.  If you
want a flashy laptop, use OSX, Windows, or Ubuntu.

#3  It does not make sense to discontinue development of opensolaris.  Some
day they'll have to make a solaris 12, you know.  But they're diverting
development away from opensolaris right now, to make *damn* sure they
release solaris 11 this year.  After that, development can resume on
opensolaris, and then you can finally start seeing some efforts going into
2010.03 (or 2011.03 or whatever).