On Apr 13, 2011, at 4:06 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 4:09 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya
> <vishvana...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> New point for the agenda.  We have stuff that needs to go into
>> openstack-common, and we don't really have a PTL for stuff there.  Who
>> manages this?  Authn should be openstack-common for sure.
>
> Good point. I actually think that openstack-common should *not* have a
> PTL, and that the PTLs for the other projects should propose code
> standards for that project and stuff to go into it. Authn would be a
> great first start, since previous attempts at getting agreement on
> things like option processing and logging didn't get very far.
>
> John, what do you think?
>
> -jay

My first reaction is that openstack-common should have a PTL, but trying to set
up elections, etc is not the important part yet. I'd prefer to see usable code
first, and then whoever submitted it can be PTL. In other words, let's not rush
to set up governance for something which isn't fully formed yet.

Until openstack-common gets to the point of having a good set of code in it,
the other projects' PTLs should manage it. However, with no code in it, the
role of the existing PTLs would be to define what parts need to be there or
some guidelines for what should go in an openstack-common project. Once the
code is being written, it should be managed like any other first-class project
within openstack.

--John