Jimmy, thank you for sharing your experiences. It's funny, mine are a
little similar, except that I'm the one grabbing the keyboard! It's
not because you're the man, it's just because you're the one who knows
what to do in this situation.

The separateness of conversation over a meal that you mention is just
because of different interests. When my husband talks work with his
colleagues, I'll talk about whatever with their wives. We don't share
their work. Often we have little in common other than babies and
housekeeping (sadly they are never into computers, either.) A LUG is a
different matter!  We are all there to share a common interest.

That link that Izabel provided is an excellent resource, and includes
some sound analysis of the issues, as well as suggestions for
affirmative action.

That you want to encourage women in Linux is wonderful, but I don't
think a group is really the way to go. It just encourages separation.
>From the participants on these lists it's clear that openSUSE has a
focus of building an inclusive community, and that, I think, is the
way to go. It's not a 'neat and tidy' solution - you can't set a page
up and it's all done. It's an ongoing commitment. Standing up to
abusive or exclusive behavior can be a little confronting at times.

I don't feel 'geeky' language or jargon is a particular problem for
women - it can be for any non-computer people. Sometimes jargon is a
useful, efficient way of communicating. And sometimes we like being
part of the 'in crowd' and using our secret language! There is maybe a
cultural difference between the programmer/developer group and the non
technical general user/community group, and that could be alienating
to both women and men who don't feel they are knowledgeable enough to
be involved (when of course they can contribute in many other ways).

warmest wishes

Helen

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Jimmy Pierre
<jimmypierre.rouen.fra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I totally agree with you about women being a minority in Linux. Should we men
> try to talk less in Geek language for starters? OK, we are busy, and when our
> wives ask for something, what I tend to do is not giving the attention that
> she deserves, but attempting to get hold of the keyboard or mouse and solve
> whatever the problem was. I do the same with my sister, friends and
> neighbours. Slap!

 <snip for brevity>