I think there's some value in consistent language, and it is a little
confusing when you switch distros and find that a simple terminal is
in a different location (system tools instead of accessories) or has a
different name (terminal, LXterminal).

I don't think the new user is our target audience. Sure we may attract
some, and openSUSE is certainly user friendly enough to be manageable
for many, but the things that make a distribution a 'no brainer' for
new users aren't always helpful for more experienced users. That's a
different discussion of course....

Sometimes a 'simpler' language can be irritating and even vague -
there's no doubt about what 'laptop' means (we can always google it)
but 'a computer with screen and keyboard included' could maybe mean
one of those all-in-ones with a keyboard included in the package, like
an iMac.

The important thing is to be consistent and clear. When talking to a
specific audience, add explanations when appropriate.

Now it's time for me to consume some fermented apple juice and watch
pyrotechnic displays in observation of the commencement of a new solar
cycle on the Gregorian calendar. :)

Happy New Year everyone :)

Helen